Well, it’s been a busy month. The posts here became a bit rare since I’ve got back to painting full armies, and not skirmish groups. Anyway, I finished my first non fantastical warband (not strictly historical). Collecting as I am always, I couldn’t get off with a logical six points format for Saga, and instead ended up with ten points an two warlords:
The reason is quite simple: you could play different boards (meaning armies in Saga) with some of the minis being the same ones (I just heard historians dropping dead in arguing in the back). So I’ve done some listing (army listing of course, we’re in good company here!), and settled with this raiding party. It allows me to field them as Vikings, Jomvikings, and even for the open minded, Norse Gaels or Pagan Rus (the four boards using the rune dices actually). Most of it is Gripping Beast plastic range, with a few Warlord additions. While I love those sculpts, it’s not really what I’m used to have under the brushes. But I was surprised how fast you can go on these with some basic technics.
I work on white undercoat, and I always do the whole unit all together, for time cost and visual cohesion. I first drop all my bases, skins, metals and various pieces of leathers and fabrics. I include flesh variations, and tried to exploit as many tones I can get for the clothes. Then for the shading I rely on three GW washes, black for the metals, flesh for the skins and brown for all the rest. The last part is to work only in edge highlights with contrasted tones, than add the last details, mostly the faces. This enable me to spend time on bases, and most importantly, shields.
It result on a force that didn’t took me to much time, and I hope his visual cohesion looks good.
Here are two points of levy, one with javelins, the other shooting longbows. The first one are attempt to figure the clear clothes of the Pagan Rus slaves, which ended up a bit darker than expected. The second will be mostly used with Vikings, so I bring more colors on the fabrics.
Two points of Warriors with various (so no special) equipment. I mix kits here but I mostly use the armored version, since I can’t bring myself to paint more of the Gripping Beast Dark Ages Warriors. These are nice, but quite simple in fact and in a way less fun to work.
Another two points of bearded Warriors. I built enough of them with spears so they can count as two points equiped with javelins (even though I know some people dislike this, it reduces many costs, both in time and money). There’s even a tiny warrior amongst them, as he’s actually an Oathmark Dwarf body a pal gave me.
Fineness and poetry comes with the danes axes, Earthguards and Warriors alike. I love the Varanguard so much I got to include one unit. The Warriors required many modifications (which’s often easy unless you come to two handed weaponry). I sometimes field them as three Earthguard points to use as striking forces in a Norse Gael formation.
Hearthguards and Berzerkers, both metal miniatures from Warlord. I picture the first unit as the Earls of the various units of the army, gathering to war in the name of their king. The naked guys is a group of maniacs only good to bite shields and die in vain glory. But I’m okay with it.
The fist Warlord, painted in a Rohan’s scheme (what do you mean non historical source!?). I gave both of them a high ground base, as it fit to such powerful characters. Picking which one I’m going to play is the hardest choice for me when it comes to wrote my army list.
My second, a bit more savage, Warlord. I’ve gone for a much darker and natural scheme here. I always put him out in case I play Berzerkers, I figure they go along well, discussing pelt wearing and bold charges technics.
This project could have been done quicker, if it wasn’t for the shields. I was to proud to use transfers, and frankly the challenge was part of what decides me for this project.
So here’s a selection of them. I work my bases first, dropping shadows in a clumsy way. I then draw carefully the patterns (mostly crows here), highlight them before doing a clean outlining (it allows you to correct mistakes while emphasizing the figure). The battle damages comes in last, adding thin dark brown lines highlighted accordingly to the background.
I had a lot of fun doing these, even though it’s time consuming. It’s also a great way to improve those (in a way) simpler models. I’m looking forward to use what I learn here on more fantastical project (and you know there will be…).
So, time to sail south west, I bet I can find some monastery to loot down there! Or at least a good fight on the way! Even new minis to paint maybe… (I so fucking dead under so many new projects) So, see you in the melee!
Ol Sailin’ Ad